Wednesday 9 June 2010

May reads.....



No1 Ladies Detective Agency, Morality For Beautiful Girls- Alexander McCall Smith

I love this series of books following Mma Ramotse, owner of the No1 Ladies Detective Agency in Botswana. They are beautifully written and so easy to get into. They never fail to make me smile and the descriptions are so wonderful it always makes me want to visit Botswana. I have only just discovered these books and am now totally hooked. They are a perfect, relaxing read before bed.



Salmon Fishing In The Yemen- Paul Torday.

I picked this book up from the library as I had heard of it before and knew it was meant to be a good read. I wasn't sure it was going to be my thing but was surprised by the story which was funny and interesting and not at all serious, as I thought it would be. It was done in the style of letters and emails between the characters and personal accounts from Dr Alfred Jones (the man leading the project to introduce Salmon into the Wadis of the Yemen) I didn't find the book to be a really easy read and had to steel myself to get back into it sometimes, but whenever I did I really enjoyed it. The only thing I didn't enjoy about this book was the ending, but at least it was surprising and I certainly didn't expect it!



Agatha Raisin and The Quiche Of Death- M. C. Beaton

This was a brilliant read and perfect for me to plough through in the coffee shop whilst waiting to pick up my youngest from Nursery. They are a bit like a comedy Miss Marple but with the main character being a retired, high flying, dragon of a business woman. The characters are brilliant and the plot is wonderful. There are 20 books in the series so far, with one more due for release soon so there are plenty for me to keep me going  (I hate it when you get to the end of a much enjoyed series of books and you know there aren't going to be any more ) I can't wait to read the next one! I think that a pot of Earl Grey tea and a pecan and banana loaf are the perfect accompaniment to this read (well that's how I do it anyway).

                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment